JOIN AN OFFICIAL BOS ORANGUTAN VOLUNTEER PROGRAM
Spend two weeks in beautiful Borneo at Samboja Lestari, a sanctuary that cares for approx 125 orangutans and 72 sun bears. If you are passionate about protecting orangutans and want to make a practical difference, this program is for you.
Situated within the Bornean tropical rainforest, Samboja Lestari remains one of the best and most accessible places in the world to see orangutans, whilst respecting the fact they are wild animals. Apart from orangutans, our centre is home to an array of other enchanting species like sun bears, binturongs and macaques.
As an Orangutan Program Volunteer, you will be a key part of our enrichment and welfare program. Enrichment programs are vital for captive orangutans, teaching them how to forage for food, build, modify and use tools, increase agility and develop skills to survive in the wild. Take this opportunity to leave a long-lasting impact on Indonesia’s wildlife, working hard to provide a meaningful future not only for animals at the centre but also for the region’s wildlife for many years to come.
Our programs start on Sundays, and you can join us for two weeks or more between October and March each year:
Available start dates: 1st October, 15th October, 29th October, 12th November, 26th November, 10th December 2023;
7th January, 21st January, 4th February, 25th February, 10th March 2024.
Next season’s available start dates: 6th October, 20th October, 3rd November, 17th November, 1st December 2024;
5th January, 19th January, 2nd February, 16th February, 2nd March, 16th March 2025.
- See orangutans in their natural habitat.
- Spend 13 nights and 14 days at Samboja Lestari in Borneo (let us know if you are thinking of shorter or longer trip) as a part of a small and fun team!
- Create enrichment items for orangutans to play with and enjoy.
- Meet the incredible BOS team, who cares for orangutans and the Bornean rainforest.
- Explore Kalimantan’s forests and villages, and immerse yourself in the local culture.
- Work with sun bears.
- The trip is for 17 years* and over.
- Price: $2,200 AUD (excluding flights) per two weeks (13 nights) with a generous donation towards BOS Foundation’s lifesaving work included. Of this amount, a $495 deposit is required to confirm your booking.
* You commit to fundraising or donating a minimum of $1,000. This is a non-refundable donation to the Enrichment program, and you will be issued a Tax Deductible Receipt. Of this, a $495 non-refundable deposit is required to be paid at the time of booking. We are unable to confirm your spot on your chosen tour date until the deposit has been received.
The remainder of the $1,200 non-refundable donation must be paid a minimum of 30 days prior to departure. We may cancel your booking if either the deposit payment or the final payment is not paid by the relevant due date.
Children aged between 17-18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
All tours are based on a minimum number of participants. However, if this number is not reached, we reserve the right to cancel or re-cost the tour as appropriate. If we re-cost and you decide not to proceed, or if we cancel the tour, your deposit is refundable in full.
In all other circumstances, your deposit is non-refundable.
Read our Full Terms & Conditions
How Can You Help
There are lots of ways you can support orangutans and help ensure the survival of this precious ape.
Adopt an Orangutan
Orangutans are endangered and at risk of extinction. Habitat destruction means hundreds of orphan orangutans need to care for every year. You can help by adopting one. Their dedicated ‘nannies’ teach them everything they need to know for when it’s time to release them back to the wild. You can follow their progress through Forest School.Adopt Now
Make a Donation
Please help the Orangutans in their struggle for survival. Your donation is important and goes directly to BOS Indonesia. By donating, you are helping bring this noble yet endangered species back from the brink of extinction and on a path to freedom - from rescue to rehabilitation and release.Donate Now
Visit Our Shop
The perfect gift for any occasion! Choose from our selection of instant gifts that directly support our orangutans. You can buy a wheelbarrow, provide food for an orangutan for two months or lots more. You will receive a certificate, personalised with the name of your choice - perfect gift for you or a friend.Shop Now