A priceless opportunity to make a practical difference in the survival of the Borneo Orangutan.
As an Orangutan Program Volunteer, you will be a key part of the enrichment program at BOS.
Enrichment programs are vital for captive orangutans as they teach them how to forage for food, build, modify and use tools, increase agility and develop skills to survive in the wild.
PLEASE NOTE OUR UPCOMING VOLUNTEER TRIPS HAVE BEEN POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE DUE TO COVID-19. WE WILL REOPEN THE PROGRAM AS SOON AS IT IS SAFE TO DO SO. IN THE MEANTIME, PLEASE REGISTER YOUR INTEREST AND WE WILL KEEP YOU UPDATED ON ANY CHANGES.
Here are the basics –
- Spend two weeks at Samboja Lodge in Borneo (shorter trips available)
- Be part of a small and fun team
- Prepare items for the orangutans to play with
- Visit local markets and work with sun bears
- Trip is for 15 years* and over and available for various departures
- $2,000 AUD approx. (excl. flights)
* You commit to fundraising or donating a minimum of $1,000. This is a non-refundable donation to the Enrichment program and you will be issued with a Tax Deductible Receipt. Of this, a $250 non-refundable deposit is required to be paid at time of booking. We are unable to confirm your spot on your chosen tour date until the deposit has been received.
The remainder of the $1,000 non-refundable donation must be paid a minimum of 30 days prior to departure. We may cancel your booking if either the deposit payment or the final payment is not paid by the relevant due date.
Children aged between 15 and 17 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
All tours are based on a minimum number of participants, however if this number is not reached, we reserve the right to cancel or re-cost the tour as appropriate. If we re-cost and you decide not to proceed, or if we cancel the tour, your deposit is refundable in full.
In all other circumstances, your deposit is non-refundable.
Read our Full Terms & Conditions
How Can You Help
There are lots of ways you can support orangutans and help ensure the survival of this precious ape.
Adopt an Orangutan
Orangutans are endangered and at risk of extinction. Habitat destruction means hundreds of orphan orangutans need to care for every year. You can help by adopting one. Their dedicated ‘nannies’ teach them everything they need to know for when it’s time to release them back to the wild. You can follow their progress through Forest School.Adopt Now
Make a Donation
Please help the Orangutans in their struggle for survival. Your donation is important and goes directly to BOS Indonesia. By donating, you are helping bring this noble yet endangered species back from the brink of extinction and on a path to freedom - from rescue to rehabilitation and release.Donate Now
Visit Our Shop
The perfect gift for any occasion! Choose from our selection of instant gifts that directly support our orangutans. You can buy a wheelbarrow, provide food for an orangutan for two months or lots more. You will receive a certificate, personalised with the name of your choice - perfect gift for you or a friend.Shop Now